Fluted Paper (geriffeltes Papier)

Forum di discussione sulle emissioni e la storia postale del Regno Lombardo-Veneto.

Moderatore: fildoc

Rispondi
Berni17

Fluted Paper (geriffeltes Papier)

Messaggio da Berni17 »

Years ago I was once shown a fluted paper (back) on a 3 Kreuzer stamp. It can sometimes be seen with other values. This corrugation can be seen horizontally and, more rarely,
vertically on machine- and handmade paper. Maybe not ribbed, but the ominous fluted machine paper? This is mentioned in the literature, but no examples are shown.

Maybe this is something like that. A fake ribbing? Also referred to as "Feilenfälschungen"...(Fake corrugation)… there are only references to this in the literature.

I'll show you a few examples here:

3 Kr. MP, Type IIIa, Platte B1
3 Kr (MP).png

A 6 Kreuzer on a return receipt
6 Kr Ty Ib -Retour-Recepisse (Riffelung).jpg
6 Kr Ty Ib (HP).jpg

Enclosed is a ribbed 9 Kreuzer.... must be absolutely unique, or perhaps the manufacturer has fine-tuned a few? Made in Stockerau?
9 Kr (MP).jpg

And here are some examples of the 15 centes:
15centes-papier-b.jpg
15centes-papier-a.jpg
15 Centes - Riffelung.jpg

The old master of Austrian philately, Edwin Müller, wrote detailed explanations in 1927 in the standard work “The Stamps of Austria”, pages 13–18. Edwin Müller writes the following about this:

In machined paper you can sometimes find a clear corrugation, which usually runs horizontally and rarely vertically. This is a coincidence in papermaking that was once credited with giving rise to “rib paper”. The metal rollers of paper machines, when new, created small grooves that were impressed into the paper. When the rollers are used for a longer period of time, these grooves disappear and the rollers are then completely smooth, so that “wavy paper” only appeared when new rollers were used.
Maybe you've already come across something like this.

I would be happy to read your comments.

Best regards
Bernhard :ricerca:
Non hai i permessi necessari per visualizzare i file allegati in questo messaggio.
fildoc

Re: Fluted Paper (geriffeltes Papier)

Messaggio da fildoc »

I don't think this is what Muller describes
whether the lines in the paper were present before printing
there would be printing defects in the grooves which are very deep!
+-x:
Sommiamo le idee, riduciamo gli ostacoli, moltiplichiamo le relazioni e condividiamo le conoscenze!

ciao
Ciao: Ciao: Ciao:
Fildoc
Berni17

Re: Fluted Paper (geriffeltes Papier)

Messaggio da Berni17 »

I found a certificate from Ferchenbauer for the 6 Kreuzer shown above.

geriffeltes Papier - 6 Kreuzer.jpg
6 Kr Ty Ib - Attest Riffelung.jpg
Best regards
Bernhard :ricerca:
Non hai i permessi necessari per visualizzare i file allegati in questo messaggio.
Rispondi

Torna a “Regno Lombardo-Veneto”

SOSTIENI IL FORUM